Monday, November 11, 2013

TWO New Recipes?? What!

Happy Monday! Bleh. How many more working days until Christmas vacation?

My weekend was busy, but enjoyable, and I even had time on Sunday to make a double batch of my pumpkin muffins and whip up two new recipes!

Hummus!

Thanks to Nikki's detox, I realized that hummus is super easy to make, and WAY cheaper to make your own than buy it. Obvious plus. I took her recipe and modified it to my tastes a bit. 

1 can chickpeas, rinsed
1/3 (or so) cup water
1 heaping tablespoon tahini
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tbsp chili garlic sauce (I use the brand that makes sriracha with the bright green lid -  huy fong foods)
big handful of spinach
fresh pepper
chili flakes to taste

Throw it all in a blender or food processor and voila! You may need to add more water, or more spices depending on your preference. 



Vegetable, Kale and Bean Saute

Again thanks to Nikki Sharp for the detox and inspiring this recipe. I bought a ton of veggies (as usual) this week, and kale. I struggle with kale. I want to want it and like it soooo badly, but it normally just doesn't do it for me. I tried again today and boom! It worked. I love it when random recipes turn out. 

1 onion
garlic
1 green pepper
1/2 red pepper
1 jalapeno 
+ any other veggies you want
1 head kale
about 10 mini potatoes (i used white, red and blue)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

1/4 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth to make this vegetarian/vegan!)
2 tbsp teryaki sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
pepper
red chili flakes

nuts - if you want. I added cashews and sunflower seeds.

Saute the onion with fresh garlic and a bit of olive oil. Add the other vegetables (except potatoes) and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Add the chopped kale and put a lid on the pan. Mix the sauces in a bowl and add to the vegetables. Add the beans. 
While the vegetables are cooking, cook the potatoes in a separate pan. I chopped them in quarters and cooked in a bit of olive oil with garlic, seasoning salt and cayenne pepper. Once the potatoes are cooked and crispy (you can also make them in the oven), add them to the other pan. 
Stir and enjoy! I'm so excited about this recipe! So much green!


2 comments:

  1. ugh i LOVE hummus & this one sounds amazing! definitely whiping this up! thanks for sharing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good! Let me know how you like it! I'm going to try one with caramelized onions next :)

    ReplyDelete