Monday, August 12, 2013

Black Bean Brownies with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting

I knew my weekend was going to be full of writing my final paper for class, so on Friday night I spent a while in the kitchen inventing. Be prepared for some new recipes this week!
As predicted, it wasn't the most fun weekend, but at least I could suffer inside along with Lee, who is studying for his test. At least I had some yummy treats to eat all weekend. 
I started off my Monday on a good note, doing something I haven't for a while - I ran! I only went 5k, but my goodness did it ever feel great! As much as I love lifting lately, I'm still a runner at heart. I need to try to fit it in more I think! Next I need to get back on my bike...

Onto a recipe!

Black bean brownies come up here and there on pinterest, and I finally decided that I needed to give them a try. My first attempt at them a few weeks ago was alright, but I decided that I needed to play with the recipe a bit to make it more to my taste. I also very much require a FOOD PROCESSOR. If someone wants to send me the full Ninja System, that would be great. Lee doesn't seem to think I need this, he believes I just want something new. 

For my second attempt at black bean brownies...

1 can black beans, rinsed well
3 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup no sugar added syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup apple sauce

4 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 - 1 cup oats (depending on the texture you'd like)
1/8 cup sweetener (optional)

2/3 cup chocolate chips (I used 1/3 carob and 1/3 dark chocolate)

Since I still don't have a food processor I blended the first 5 ingredients in my nutribullet until very smooth, and then added the next 4. I transferred the batter to a bowl after that and mixed with a hand mixer before adding the chocolate chips. 
Transfer to a greased 8x8 dish and bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes. Let cool before cutting!

I've tested these on a few people that don't like beans and don't eat clean, and they've been very well received! 
These pictures were actually from my first batch (I forgot to take pictures on Friday, whoops). They pretty much look the same though! 


And for the most amazing and healthy topping...

Mix in a bowl (a spoon works fine for this)...

3 heaping tbsp of blended LF cottage cheese
1 heaping tbsp of peanut butter
**I actually used a spoon for these, not one of the premeasured scoops
1 packet sweetener
dash of vanilla 

You can make more of this by doubling the ingredients, it just depends on how much you need!

No comments:

Post a Comment