Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

I'm not sure if I've let this slip yet, but I'm obsessed with anything Meixcan-like. Tacos, fajitas, guac, I love it all!
I can't believe it's taken me this long to post this recipe, or to make these again. I got the inspiration from the leangreenbean blog, and naturally, modified it to my own tastes. Even the recipe below can be modified a lot, but it's a good starting point. 

To start, cut sweet potatoes in half (lengthwise), and microwave for 4 minutes on high, flip, and then microwave for another 3 minutes. Set these aside to cool. 

In the meantime, start cooking your meat. You can really use anything here - ground chicken, ground turkey, leftover chicken, or you can keep it vegetarian and use beans! Last night I used chicken breast, which I cut into small pieces, coated in garlic, chili powder and a bit of Franks hot sauce. I then tossed it in a few tablespoons of oat flour and panko bread crumbs. I heated up a skillet with a bit of cooking spray and tossed it in to cook. 

I then chopped up the veggies and got them cooking, I used....

1/2 green pepper
1 yellow pepper
5 mushrooms
1 onion

**you can add whatever veggies you want, plus a grain like brown rice or quinoa or black beans!

Once those were almost cooked, I hollowed out the sweet potatoes, leaving about a 1/2 cm edge and chopped up what was left to toss in the skillet with the other veggies, and then added the chicken. Once that was mixed I added 1/2 a package of taco seasoning and let it cook with a lid on for a bit. 

After that I filled the hollowed out sweet potatoes, topped with a bit of lactose-free cheese, and baked at 350 for 12 minutes. 

I topped them with tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, salsa and hot sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment