Thursday, August 15, 2013

Mushroom Quinoa

I know that Lee enjoys my cooking, but he doesn't often get too excited about it. This is one healthy dish that he LOVES, and frequently requests. I made this on Friday night as well, and finally took the time to measure what I put in it. Lee was thrilled, as was his best friend who even requested the recipe :)

1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
2 cups beef broth (or just add a package of dehydrated beef broth to the water)

1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp fresh garlic
1 onion, chopped
2 1/2 cups mushrooms - for the mushrooms I chop some small, and leave some sliced
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
fresh pepper

First cook the quinoa in the beef broth - bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for about 15-18 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed. 

In the meantime, add the oil, garlic and onion to a skillet and let the onions cook for about 5 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and some fresh pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are soft, and some are turning a golden brown. I think I do this over about medium-high heat, watching it closely. You want it to look like this:




Once the quinoa is cooked, add it to the skillet and mix. Then add the soy sauce and some more pepper. I let it cook for a bit longer so that some of the quinoa is golden brown. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment