Thursday, August 8, 2013

Peanut Stirfry and Raisin Bran Muffins

A couple weeks ago I made a stirfry with a peanut sauce for Amy and I, and I've been craving it pretty much since I put my fork down that night. I've always loved stirfry, but my problem with making it would always be the sauce. I'd throw a bunch of things into a bowl, whisk it up, and by the time we were sitting down to eat I wouldn't have a clue what I'd done. 
Last night, I made a better effort and actually measured everything I put into the bowl, crossed my fingers and it turned out!

Here's what was in the sauce: 

1/2 cup unsweetened peanut butter
2/3 cup warm water
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp fresh garlic
1/2 tsp crushed peppers
1/2 tsp hot sauce of choice 
1/2 tbsp corn starch
fresh ground pepper

First mix the PB and water, and then add the rest of the ingredients and whisk until smooth!

For my veggies I used:

onion
broccoli
mushrooms
peppers
zucchini
celery 
water chestnuts (my favourite part)

I first sauteed strips of chicken breast that I had placed in ziploc bags, hammered until thin, and then froze. This is an awesome way to store chicken that can be defrosted in a hurry!

Once the chicken was almost done, I removed it, added a bit more oil and threw in my veggies. Once cooked, I added the chicken back in, stirred, made a hole for the sauce so that it could thicken a bit and then mixed it all together!

I topped it with Sriracha and cashews, and yes, I went back for seconds!


On Sunday I decided to try creating another recipe, and too my delight - it turned out! On a whim one day I bought wheat bran, I'm still not sure why, but I finally decided to use some of it. I ended up with "Banana Oatmeal Raisin Bran Muffins", which was too long of a name according to my mom - so Raisin Bran Muffins it is!

1 1/2 cup oats
1 cup wheat bran
1/8 cup sweetener or sugar (more if you want the muffins to be sweeter)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
cinnamon

3 ripe bananas
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup egg whites
vanilla

raisins (or chocolate chips!)

Mix the wet and dry ingredients separately then blend together and add the raisins, I think I used about 1/3 to 1/2 a cup. 

Bake at 375 for 18 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment