Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Grocery Shopping

I used to HATE grocery shopping. I was embarrassingly bad at it. I would have to go back and forth through the entire store trying to find things. Now, I have it down to a science. Lee and I shop at both No Frills and at Zehrs. At No Frills we get the bulk of list, and stop at Zehrs for things we can't get at No Frills like fresh deli meat and some things in the health section. We used to shop exclusively at Zehrs, but our weekly grocery bill decreased by at least $30 a week once we switched - well worth it!
I always check the flyers before we go, if there is anything on sale that will keep, we stock up. This counts especially for meat - mostly for boneless, skinless chicken. I have a very hard time paying full price for chicken. At any given time our freezer is normally pretty stocked. 
Having some idea of what you're planning on having for dinners that week is really helpful, but a lot of the time I don't. This past Sunday I did have a full meal plan for the week written, and I think we did end up saving money because I wasn't grabbing extra stuff that I didn't need. 
Since I've already posted my staples, this list isn't exhaustive. I obviously need to restock my pantry quite often. One of the biggest keys to eating healthier is sticking to the perimeter of the grocery store as much as possible (which I'm sure you've heard before). This is where you'll find the produce, meat, bread and eggs/dairy. Anyway, onto my list!

Produce:

  • Peppers
  • Jalapenos 
  • Zucchini
  • Celery
  • Baby carrots
  • Apples
  • Berries/grapes (normally only if they're on sale)
  • Mushrooms
  • Cucumber (2-3 of these)
  • Tomatoes
  • Broccoli
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Lettuce and/or spinach
  • Onions
  • These ones I buy less frequently, depending on what's on the menu:
    • Spaghetti Squash
    • Cauliflower
    • Kale
    • Leeks
As you can tell, it's a pretty long list. We eat a LOT of vegetables. I don't always buy everything on the list, but there's a pretty good chance that I will. 

Frozen/Refrigerated:
  • Meat (Chicken, pork, extra lean ground chicken/turkey, tilapia, sometimes steak --> this all depends on what is on sale and if we need it!)
  • Almond milk
  • Regular milk (for Lee)
  • Eggs!! 
  • Lactose free cottage cheese
  • Frozen fruit
  • Coffeemate (I still can't give it up!)
  • Deli meat (for Lee)
Apart from those, we'll stock up on anything else we're missing or running low on. There are often other snacks that get thrown in for Lee, plus bread for his lunches, but the majority of the cart is always vegetables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment