Big news! Not really. I got Instagram! May there never be another picture of food not filtered and posted. Jut kidding, but I hope that I can figure out how to properly make use of it. At the very least find some motivation and ideas from other people. You can find it @balancingclean, I think that's how it works. The link is also on the right hand side of the page.
Last night I had one of my best friends (and co-worker, ish), over for dinner. Since it was his birthday on Monday, he got to pick what we were eating. Of course he picked one of the most labour-intensive meals possible (haha just kidding, Chris). Luckily, I can cook quickly, and it turned out great!
Clean Eating Chicken Parmesan
This isn't really a set in stone recipe, but here's the steps I took:
- Hammer out chicken breasts to at least half an inch thick, or thinner if you prefer.
- Set up a breading station with the following three plates: Oat flour (seasoned with onion powder and pepper), egg whites (seasoned with garlic, pepper and a bit of salt) and panko bread crumbs.
- Coat each piece of chicken in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs.
- Heat a skillet with cooking spray and a bit of olive oil, and fry each piece of chicken for 3-4 minutes a side. I had to do this in batches.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Coat the bottom of a 9x12 dish with tomato sauce. You can make this homemade, but I just picked one with a good label to use.
- Add chicken, top with more sauce, fresh basil, and cheese and parmesan if desired. I used regular cheese for the boys, and a bit of LF cheese on mine.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes!
And enjoy! I served mine with pasta, garlic bread and a side salad. I opted for just the chicken (I only got through half a piece!), salad and spaghetti squash. I added extra veggies to the leftover sauce to have with the pasta.
After dinner was all cleaned up I had a bit of a sweet tooth, and made one of the best "ice creams" I've made yet!
Later last night when I was heading to bed, I walked into our bedroom to find Lee tucked in up to his chin and reading. I couldn't resist but to tuck him in a bit more :)