Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Turkey Chili

I'm not sure what I love more: fall weather, or fall food. Let's call it a tie. To welcome the official start of fall this past weekend, I decided to jump right into some fall cooking and make some turkey chili!
When I was a kid, chili nights used to be a big deal, and very exciting. There was just something awesome about a bowl of chili topped with a bunch of cheese, and toast and tostitos for dipping. As much as I'd love to go back to that, I decided that a healthier version was necessary. 

Here's what you'll need:

1/2 pound lean ground turkey
2 packages beef broth seasoning
1/2 package taco seasoning
2 cans of diced tomatoes (I used some with chili seasoning)
1 can tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
pepper (to taste)
chili powder (about 1-2 tbsp)
red pepper flakes (to taste)
oregano (about 1/2 tbsp)
fresh garlic  
olive oil 
chopped veggies! Here's what I used:


Add onion, 1 tbsp olive oil and 1-2 tbsp fresh garlic to a non stick pan. Let cook for a little while and then add turkey with 1 package beef broth and taco seasoning. Cook until done. 
In a large pot, all some oil, garlic and all of your chopped veggies (except tomatoes) and let cook. Once cooked, add the turkey and onions as well as the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, fresh tomato and spices. Let this cook for a while and then add the beans. 
I had this sitting on the stove cooking for a good portion of the afternoon. I may have been distracted watching football. For 7 hours. Whoops. 
Enjoy!! This got a stamp of approval from Bran and Lee (Lee's didn't have beans though). This photo is pre-beans:

I love making soup and chili because it will last me all week for lunch :)

No comments:

Post a Comment