Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Naked Sprout: Review

I tried something new last night. I went to a VEGAN restaurant. Yes, that's right. Vegan. I had an old friend from university coming to Burlington for dinner last night, and I wanted to go somewhere other than a pub. After chatting with my partial "vegan" VP (:p) at work, she mentioned the restaurant The Naked Sprout. 
I've never been a big believer in vegan diets. I think it deprives you of a lot of awesome and healthy food. Plus the vegan "meat" must be quite processed. I'd much rather eat a nice piece of chicken than have fake meat. I have to admit though, these views come from the fact that the diet just wouldn't work for me. I'm not sure there are many vegans that workout the way I do and need protein in the same amounts that I eat it. 
Anyway, I digress. And I hope I didn't offend anyone. Not that vegans would ever bother reading my blog.. it's probably pretty obvious that I love eggs. And meat. I checked out the website for the Naked Sprout, and I was intrigued enough that I decided to give it a try. 
I'm SO GLAD that I did! The restaurant is really cute, only about 10 tables or so. They have a bunch of smoothies and juices, but I opted to stick to my water. Our waitress was adorable and very sweet. I asked when we first got there if there was cilantro in the taco salad, and she went far out of her way to make sure there was none in my dish. Overall, I enjoyed the salad a lot! But I'm not saying that it wouldn't have been better with a nice chicken breast on top...


I actually liked Justin's choice better than my own. He had the primivera, which was fully raw and came cold. It was DELICIOUS! I'd love to try to recreate this dish. 
It was a really refreshing change from the food you normally get a restaurants. Everything was so fresh and healthy. I will definitely go back (Sonia - pick a day!). 
I just wish someone would open a restaurant like this with some meat, but no dairy. Is that too much to ask? ;)

Have you ever tried vegan food? 
What are your thoughts on veganism? 

No comments:

Post a Comment