Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Fitness Fuel Deception

I have a problem, and I need to rant for a bit. This has been bothering me for a few days, and it continues to bother me every day when I walk into my gym. I go to Goodlife; there are a bunch of great things about the chain, and also some downfalls. Other things I find are just plain ridiculous. 
Goodlife sells protein bars at their front desk, I've known this for a while, but it recently hit me how inappropriate this may be. At the gym closest to my house they recently started selling a new kind of bar. I definitely prefer to bake my own protein snacks, but I realize that sometimes it just isn't possible to bring these along and I'm always on the lookout for new protein bars. Naturally, I had to investigate this one.
The crazy thing is that I never really used to care about the contents of the bar, permitting that it had protein and tasted delicious. Yet again I can look back at younger me and shake my head. 
I'm lactose-intolerant, so one of the criteria for my protein bars is of course that it is dairy-free. When these new bars appeared at the front desk of my gym, I stopped to check them out and to my surprise and delight, noticed that they were lactose-free! Momentarily excited, I turned it over to read the ingredients and my surprise turned to shock. The first ingredient? Sugar. It was brown rice syrup, but it's really just a fancy way of saying SUGAR. 
So why am I so offended by this? It's a GYM. That promotes healthy living and a healthy life. And it is selling protein bars packed with SUGAR! I'm sure that many people come into the gym trusting that they're going to be guided in the right direction, and might see these bars and assume that they're a health food. Protein bars are great and convenient if they have the right ingredients, but most of them unfortunately do not. Am I alone here thinking that health clubs shouldn't be selling foods that could pass as a chocolate bar?

In other news, I'm still searching for a good lactose-free, low-sugar protein bar. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment