Monday, July 22, 2013

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins and a Balanced Weekend!

I have a love-hate relationship with Mondays. I hate my alarm going off at 4:20am, but I love it when I'm energized and excited for a week of clean eats, dirty workouts and progress with my body, school and work. It's always nice too when Monday rolls around and I don't feel like garbage because I've consumed too many unhealthy foods over the weekend. Small successes!

This weekend was an excellent balance of work and play. Friday afternoon I went for lunch and shopping with my superstar cousin Julia, which was fantastic and long overdue! Plus extremely motivating because of how hard she is working towards her Olympic goal! Friday night I was on my own since Lee was out, so I took advantage and spent some time prepping snacks for the beach on Saturday, and doing homework. I wasn't the happiest to be doing homework on a Friday, but that's student life I guess! I'm thankful that I did; it is a lot less stress this week now. I was a bit relived when the internet went out due to the storm though - meant I could go to bed :)

Saturday started with a cardio and abs workout for an active rest day, and then off to Bayfield to the beach with Amy! We could have packed a bunch of junk food to eat while we relaxed, but opted for lemon protein muffins (below), veggies, hard boiled eggs, apples and popcorn. We even had an awesome healthy peanut stir fry for dinner before heading out to the bar. 


Sunday was a rest/homework/food prep day. I spent time hanging out with Lee while we both studied, and I got to see the final stage of the tour de france. I almost started crying because I was so happy for Chris Froome! The cyclist in me is begging to go for a ride - also long overdue!

My weekend was a perfect combination of relaxing and productive, with moderately clean eating and even some gym time! How was your weekend?

Onto the recipe...

Lemon Poppyseed Protein Muffins!
Adapted from the Gracious Pantry. I prefer to make muffins instead of loafs or breads - the pre-portioned sizes are perfect!


¾ cup oat flour 

¾ cup vanilla whey protein powder ½ tsp baking soda
2 tsp poppy seeds

8 packets of True Lemon (OR 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 tbsp + 2 tsp lemon zest)
 ½ cup egg whites
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tbsp LF cottage cheese

2 tsp vanilla extract

Combine first 4 ingredients in one bowl and all remaining ingredients in another.
Pour the bowl of wet ingredients into the dry bowl and stir until smooth.

Preheat oven to 350, line muffin tins with parchment paper muffin cups, and divide batter into 12 muffins! Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment