Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Why I Give!

Part of my idea of living a balanced life is doing things that make me feel good about myself. Yes, it makes me feel good that I exercise and eat well, but those things only really impact me.. and Lee because he eats what I cook :)
I'm proud to be able to say that I'm a regular blood donor (yesterday was my 12th!). I go as often as I can, which is every 8 weeks unless something in my schedule interferes. It takes up an hour of my day once every two months, but is good for me and definitely good for someone else - it never fails to make me happy. I always wonder why everyone doesn't donate, so many I can convince a person or two here?

Here are some fun facts about donating blood:

1. It's GOOD for you. It forces your body to make new red blood cells; I think of it as a refresh button. 
2. The act of creating new blood cells to replace what you gave burns anywhere from 500-700 calories! Without breaking a sweat. 
3. The nurses who work at the clinic at the NICEST people. They're always so kind and thankful that you came in to donate. 
4. It gives you very good reason to have a well-deserved treat after! I like to bring my own clean baking :)
5. Most importantly, you help SAVE people. How often do you have a chance to save someone's life?  

I made giving blood part of my lifestyle, just like working out and eating well. It's just part of what I do. When I go, I rebook my next appointment right away to make sure I make it a priority. It's also one of those perfect acts that can be both selfish and selfless all at once. I feel like a good person whenever I go, I like the extra calorie burn and the treat at the end, but at the same time I'm doing something that is absolutely vital for someone's life. Think about how you would feel if you needed blood, but no one had bothered to donate. Think about the disasters that happen everyday that you see in the news - do you ever wish you could do something to help the people that are hospitalized? Donating blood helps those people! 

Just call. Make an appointment. Now. Go!


No comments:

Post a Comment