Thursday, June 20, 2013

Pulled Pork!

All day yesterday I was daydreaming of being in my kitchen wanting to experiment with ANYTHING. By anything, I really just mean chocolate. I've had a theory lately that if I were to mix melted dark chocolate with almond milk, I might be able to make "milk" chocolate. A very wrong assumption. Nevertheless, I did experiment to see what I could make with a plain dark chocolate bar. If anything was successful, I'll be sure to post it. 

This is what we (I) had for dinner last night! Lee had his on a bun.


To make it, I used a cut of pork that looked like this (note my awesome retro counter tops):


 Lee says this is called a pork loin. I call it something I found in my freezer that I wanted to cook. 

To make this I thawed the pork, and then covered it in:
-1 can marinara sauce
-a few squirts each of mustard, bbq sauce, and chipotle sauce
-1 1/2 tbsp onion powder
-2 tbsp garlic powder
-1/2 tbsp cumin 
-2 tsp chili powder
-1 tsp cayenne pepper
-black pepper
-a bit of seasoning salt, and I think I also added chili flakes.

I got all of this together the night before and left it overnight in a container, so that in the morning all i had to do was transfer it into the crock pot and turn it on! Next time I would mix the spices with the sauce first, last night I put the spice right onto the pork. 
It was on low for about 11 hours - it definitely didn't need this long, but that's how long Lee and I are away from the house so there really isn't any way to get around it. 
I put my pork on a bed of spinach with frank's, a bit of honey mustard, tomato, red onion and avocado!

And just for fun, here's a neat trick Amy taught me to get the pit out of the avocado:


After cutting it in half, if you hit the pit with a sharp knife, it will stick and you can just pop it out!

What are some of your favourite cooking tricks?

No comments:

Post a Comment