Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Rules for Life

I'm eventually going to get around to defining my idea of clean eating. I thought today might have been the day, but I got distracted by a post on another awesome blog I follow, and I decided to play along and try to think of my own rules for life - some of which I'm probably guilty of not following 100%. These are in no particular order.

be thoughtful
 Do little things that make other people smile, or make their lives easier. It may even be as simple as getting coffee ready for the morning or writing a little note.
appreciate the little things
This goes with the one above. On top of doing little things, appreciate the little things when people do them for you. It's always nice to know that someone was thinking about you and went out of their way to do something for you. 
choose exercise based on what you enjoy
Don't drag yourself through an hour of cardio if you hate it, and don't force yourself to a Zumba class if you count down each minute until you can leave. Do what you love. Last year, all I wanted to do was triathlon training. Right now, all I want to do is lift weights. 
spend time with your family
As simple as that. 
trust your gut
This goes a few ways. Normally your gut instinct is right, trust it! if eating gluten or dairy makes you sick - trust your gut that way and don't eat it! (I'm going to have to work on that one)
read!
 It's my favourite escape from reality. Running is a close second.
make time for the things that make you happy and are important to you
If eating clean is a priority, make time to prep food. If you love exercise, schedule it is just as you would schedule appointments and work.  
indulge 
Let yourself enjoy a piece of cake or a glass of wine without feeling guilty about it. 
celebrate the small victories
 Every victory counts, don't sell yourself short. 
Celebrating acceptance to grad school while indulging in wine!

relax
Life is busy. Schedule time for this too. (I was able to spend two hours last night reading on the couch - win!)


What would some of your rules be?

No comments:

Post a Comment